Friday, February 7, 2014

Video short films of Andrés Amador: beach muralist, Playa Painting, esoteric fractal Patterns in Nature. Featuring the short film "Earthscapes" by Mike Kepka


Video "The City Exposed: Earthscapes" a profile of Andrés Amador

Video flyover of an Earthscape artwork in Point Reyes State Park California




Video "Patterns in Nature" Artist profile by Ovation TV

Video Andrés Amador documentary and interview by Canadian Discovery Channel




Artist's Image Credits, Copyrights and Website and google+ link

Artist's Statement
In the beach mural exploration (aka: playa paintings, beach art) I use a rake to etch designs onto the beach during the low tide. Raking exposes the wetter sand, causing a color difference between the raked and unraked sand.


For the geometric designs I use a rope as a compass. the rest is geometry in motion- and its perfection is a thing of beauty to participate in.


For the organic designs, the pattern in 'grown' using principles of growth. For them, perfection is a state of such complete integration that the entire artwork seems to 'exist' as its own entity.

The best unintended compliments I have received were from folks thinking the pattern was somehow naturally occurring.


The unanswerable question! Its fun. I get to be at the beach.

There is an esoteric fractal quality of being within the pattern that is being made- it feels to have relevance in other aspects of my life, of building a larger pattern from the inside, not fully knowing what is resulting. And I enjoy wowing people with the creations, of bringing wonder and beauty into the world.



I have never officially measured my pieces. But judging from the size of people in them, they can go up to 300' or larger (90,000 sqft.). Generally, I go as large as possible given tide and beach constraints. I usually give myself about 2 hours of working in the space of the low tide.



For me it is more about the process and less about the result. I can be a stickler for getting something the way I think I want it- which is more goal-focused. But ultimately, when it is finished, I let it go.

For me the energy and draw is around the act of creation. I know this because even on days when everything goes wrong and there's no way a 'finished' piece can result (rogue waves wash away a huge section prematurely, the sand has washed away leaving only pebbles, a parade of dog walkers shows up (yes all these have happened!))




I still appreciate the act of being at the beach doing the art. Then there's the aspect of impermanence that has been so valuable for me to have had the opportunity to experience in such a creative way. The only constant in this existence is impermanence.


In the end our lives are about the experiences we've had, not the things we have held on to. And in the face of certain erasure, in the face of our own personal, inevitable demise, the act of rallying forces on behalf of creation and beauty is a declaration of one' existences in the face of a seemingly indifferent ocean of reality. I really like that metaphor- it encourages and propels me." Artist's website

Most of Andrés Amador's work is in Northern California, Southern California's Channel Islands off the coast of Los Angeles and Santa Barbara and México.


He is an artist-for-hire world-wide for individual commissions, education teachings, team building exercises, special occasion event art creation (for example beach weddings), ceremonial and transformative workshops.

Art prints and postcards of his work are for sale.





Video Timelapse of a beach mural "Kelp III" by Andrés Amador


Video timelapse Playa Painting "Cells III" by Andrés Amador at Stinson Beach California

Video timelapse Playa Painting "Cells at Stinson Beach" by Andrés Amador at Stinson Beach California



Video timelaspse "Mandala- guided group Playa Painting" by Andrés Amador at Ocean Beach, San Francisco