Sunday, July 13, 2014

Video short film "Lichen" directed by Kevin Lim







Watch "Lichen" (8:14 minutes) "Lichen tells the story of how through chance and coincidence, infinitely small decisions can produce new life. In each human coupling, a thousand million sperm vie for a single egg. Multiply those odds by countless generations against the odds of our ancestors even meeting and the possibility of how each and every one of us came to be is an improbability marvel. The universe is creative. We are the clay the universe leaves its' fingerprints on most clearly." - Director Kevin Lim, Sydney Australia




"The Idea Behind The Making of 'Lichen'" by Kevin Lim
The initial seed for the idea came to me in 2001. I was completing my film Honours degree and I had (somewhat stupidly) decided my thesis would be a documentary on quantum physics. I became fascinated with quantum computation, specifically in regards to microtubules, a protein found within human physiology. I remember reading this one paper which proposed how microtubules within the human body could potentially act as a quantum hard drive to store memories. So I took the idea further and thought what if inanimate objects could store memories. And what if the keepsakes we hold onto from a relationship could act as a roadmap telling the story of how two people met, fell in love and sired children.

Ten years later, I was working as a television commercial director and like many of my peers, grew wary of an industry where commerce always overruled creativity. So with producer April Tafe and cinematographer Aaron McLisky I formed Soda Honey Films and made 'Lichen', purely for the love of the creative act. Filmed sporadically on weekends between October to December in 2011 in Sydney, Australia, the project was completely self-funded. After a festival run that has taken the film as far and wide as Poland, USA, England and France, as well has having been sold for distribution to Japan and Australia, 'Lichen' has been released online.

Soda Honey Films